Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Fall Delight: Easy Cheese Souflee


As you can see from my last post, I feel a bit cheese centric lately.
Probably it all started during our 8-year stay in Switzerland.
We lived 3 years in Geneva and 5 years in the country's capital, Bern.
From both places, we often made excursions to Gruyere, birthplace of the famous Gruyere Cheese.
There it's inevitable to visit the cheese factory which introduces visitors to the secrets of cheese manufacturing.
It's an experience for all senses, most of all for your sense of smell.
Either you love it or you hate it. 
I personally loved it but one of my boys hated cheese from this day on until now.
You never know!
This is how my interest in cheese started and I began to collect cheese-based recipes.
The different aromas and ingredients are amazing.
Cheese can be made of cows, goats,buffalo, sheep or camel milk (did I get all?)
It can range from mild, soft cheese to aged hard cheese and a huge variety of textures and flavors in between.

 My cheese soufflee is made from aged gouda but you can choose any shredded cheese of your liking and play a bit with the flavors.
I tried to keep the recipe very simple and easy. Preparing Souffle isn't as difficult as many people think.
The only trick is to serve it immediately if not it will sadly shrink to a Hobbit like appearance.
:(                                                                   :(                                                               :(                        

You need:

1/2 cup breadcrumbs
250 g  Quark light (or creamy cottage cheese)
4 egg yolks
80 g shredded aged Gouda
30 g corn starch
3 egg whites
Butter and breadcrumbs to grease the molds
Salt, freshly ground pepper and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Method:
Butter 4 soufflee dishes, than "dust" with breadcrumbs and remove the excess.


Heat oven at 160 C.
Put the forms in a large roasting tray, fill up to 2cm with hot water, enough to come up 1/3 way up their outside. 
Whisk the Quark with the egg yolks until creamy.

Add the cheese, mix well, then add the cornstarch, the bread crumbs,salt ,pepper and nutmeg.

Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites bit by bit into the cheese mixture.

Put the mixture in the molds.

Bake up to ...... or until puffed and golden. SERVE IMMEDIATELY.

As it tooked some time to take the picture, the souffle downsized already a bit. :)

Serves 4. Enjoy! See you next week.

Follow me on Facebook!  And if you like this post, please like it on Facebook as well and share with your friends! 
Share this article

48 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. So you are a member of the cheese club fans too, Ashley ? :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I haven't made a cheese souffle in years! I should again - as you say, it's not that difficult. Yours looks great! How I envy you having all that lovely Swiss cheese at the source!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John,
      Isn't it nice to "rediscover" a recipe after some time?
      During I'm writing this, my husband is enjoying a cheese fondue :)
      Cheers.

      Delete
  3. Hi Daniela, finally I'm here. :) I sure love this souffle, they are really awesome. Eat this can see shooting stars. LOL Lovely presentation, the autumn leaves really beautiful.

    Have a wonderful week ahead, regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia,my dear,
      thanks so much for your patience with this crazy comment box of mine, you rock! :)
      So glad to receive this nice feedback about the post.
      Have a wonderful weekend ahead!

      Delete
  4. Just love souflees.. So light and delicious.. Takes a little but of work but so worth the reward!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, glad to hear you enjoyed the post!
      Cheers.

      Delete
  5. Looks fantastic !! nice presentation … delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this nice feedback, Candy!
      Cheers.

      Delete
  6. I am always into cheese and these souffles look downright fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the cheese fan club, Joanne!
      Glad to hear you liked the post.
      Cheers.

      Delete
  7. I need more souffle in my life---these look divine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been ages since I've gone cheese crazy, now I want to after seeing this.
    Great dish Daniela, the souffles look all puffed gooey and ready to dig in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Asha for this nice feedback!
      Have a great day.

      Delete
  9. Hi Daniela! The picture of your soufflé is making me so hungry for one. How wonderful for you to have lived in Switzerland and experience all the great cheese and I'll bet, chocolate too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kitty,
      yes Switzerland was a wonderful experience culinary and otherwise.
      This is where I got my "cheese wisdom" from :)
      Thanks for your sweet comment!

      Delete
  10. I love almost every kind of cheese I've ever tried! Your souffles look wonderful, but my favourite part was when you described them as hobbit-like. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth,
      I really didn't know how to describe this strange creation otherwise :)
      Nice to hear you are a cheese lover too, it's fun to discover the many different flavors and textures.

      Delete
  11. Muero por el queso, toda receta que tenga queso para mí es fantástico. Este souflee se ve maavilloso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Es cierto que cuando se descubre el gusto por el queso se pueden crear recetas maravillosas a base de este producto.
      Me alegra que te gusto el post. Un abrazo.

      Delete
  12. I love the look of these. I don't think I've ever made a cheese souffle. I think the combination of cheeses in these would be a lovely combination of flavours xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a great idea, Charlie!
      Next time I'll try it with a combination of cheeses and pay with the flavors.
      Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  13. Wow! A cheese soufflee.. This sounds like a must try recipe Daniela.. Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nilu, thank you for your kind words!
      Have a great day ahead!

      Delete
  14. Cheese rules, period :-) The souffle looks delicious and gouda was a great choice for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Evelyn, nice to hear that you liked the choice of Gouda :)
      Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  15. My husband and I are both HUGE cheese fans! I was just remarking at the store yesterday about how much cheese we buy. These look so delicious! I know we'd love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy,
      couldn't agree more with you. Cheese has such a variety of flavors and is so versatile for cooking - the possibilities are countless.
      That's what makes it such fun to cook with cheese. Cheers.

      Delete
  16. Souffle's are so majestic, aren't they? :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow, this looks incredible! so elegant and impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never made a souffle, but it is on my to try. Your souffle looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cheese made from camel's milk- that would be interesting! Did you know that camels used to roam California as recently as 15,000 years ago? Your souffle' looks delicious (maybe I say that because my blog's name is G'day Souffle')! I know it certainly is hard to photograph a souffle' since you only have a few minutes before the souffle' starts to wilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So Interesting to hear about Camels in California, first time I read about this.
      So glad you liked the post and the soufflé !
      Cheers.

      Delete
  20. I loooooooooooove souffle. But after I tried to photograph it and failed, I have been reluctant to try for second time (lol!). I haven't made any savory souffle, so this is VERY tempting, and it's delicious cheese! Sounds really awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Nami,
    Thank you so much for your kind words, they made my day!
    It was really quite a race against time to make the pictures and as you can see in the post, one turned already into a hobbit before I could take the picture:)
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful and you managed to get the photos done and it out to the table before it turned into a hobbit! Amazing. Our family loves cheese and I am sure they would love it with the aged gouda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bam,
      yes it was quite a race against time to take the shots before the soufflés started their transformation :)
      Glad to hear that you and your family a cheese lovers too.
      Cheers!

      Delete
  23. Hi Daniela! I couldn't leave a comment on your beautiful Camembert cheese post, so I came here. It looks fabulous and I love the presentation. Mmmm I can just taste all that melted cheese goodness. I love how you inserted the rosemary into the top.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Divine! This is a wonderful creation.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Daniela, I still can't leave a comment on your latest post, but the pork meal sounds wonderful! What a great meal to serve guests as it's so easy, colorful and delectable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kitty,
      thank you so much for trying anyhow!
      Great to hear you enjoyed the recipe.
      Cheers.

      Delete

 
Copyright © 2014 The Ambassador's Table • All Rights Reserved.
back to top